Advisory & Learning Support
Support at Eastside Prep begins with our teachers. Our teachers have close, individualized relationships with their students. In addition to the classroom expertise of our teachers, EPS has a variety of tools we use to meet student needs. These include student advisory groups, our Guided Study Hall program, individual and group counseling, and parenting education. In addition to the three Learning Support Instructors who teach in our Guided Study Hall Program, we employ a full-time Learning Specialist and a full-time Counselor who are available to assist students, faculty and parents with any support they may need throughout the year.
- Questions? Contact the Advisor directly once they have been assigned. For general questions or concerns about the program, please contact the Division Head:
Eastside Prep’s Learning Support Program reflects our appreciation for students’ learning differences and the school’s commitment to helping a diverse body of students engage in our rigorous college prep curriculum. Learning Support is available to all students who need additional support. We offer the following
- Study Skills and Organizational Support: This is available for all EPS students. Any student can request a check-in meeting to refine their organizational or study skills. This support can look like a one-time targeted strategy session or an occasional check-in meeting. Additionally, our learning specialists hold formal study sessions that are open to all EPS students prior to finals.
- Learning Plans/Accommodations: Any student who has gone through a psychoeducational assessment and found there to be learning differences in the picture, can have learning plan put in place. Parents will need to provide a copy of that testing to help inform the accommodations documented based on the student’s learning style. Plans will include reasonable accommodations that a student qualifies for, as well as helpful recommendations that explain a little more about a particular student’s learning style. Please keep in mind that it is important for the testing to be up-to-date, especially in the Upper School, as there is an impact on qualifying for standardized testing accommodations.
- Guided Study Hall: GSH is a fee-based service internal to EPS that provides additional support to students grades 5-12. All EPS students have a study hall built into their day. GSH varies greatly from a traditional study hall in that each student receives tailored, individual instruction from a Learning Support Specialist who identifies methods and techniques to assist students achieve success. There is a four-to-one student-to-teacher ratio in the GSH setting. Students are not pulled out of an elective or other class to participate in GSH, rather they are just scheduled into GSH instead of a regular study hall. There is a separate Guided Study Hall Agreement that is signed by a family once they have elected to participate in this program. Deadline for enrollment in our Guided Study Hall program is May 1st. After that date, a spot in the program cannot be guaranteed.
- Questions? Contact our Learning Support Coordinator, Robin Christy at firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-822 5668 x365