EBC Week 2021
EBC is a required one-week period in the academic year for students to be fully engaged in rich and challenging learning experiences—in ways not possible during the regular academic schedule. EBC projects are experiential: learning is hands-on, exploratory, and unrestricted by the boundaries of the regular classroom. These projects are designed to spark passion, to help students discover relationships among disciplines, and to safely take risks for the sake of learning. These experiences allow students to become immersed in the activities and to work collaboratively with peers and adults, including guest experts in varied fields of study. EBC projects are intended to stimulate curiosity, creativity, and imagination, along with a deepened understanding of interesting and worthwhile subject matter, while introducing students to new skills, perspectives, and activities in a variety of learning environments.
Due to the Covid-19 health risks and public health considerations, change is necessary for the 2021 EBC Program. This year’s EBC Week experiences will not include international or domestic trips using air travel. We will stay in the Pacific Northwest. There may be regional trips and local day experiences and remote EBC options. We are in a flexible planning mode to lay out the safest, greatest EBC possible.
While EBC 2021 will be unique, we believe it can deliver the same adventurous, creative, and engaging types of projects of years past. We see this year as an opportunity to deeply discover and explore our local and regional cultures and landscape. We will be working with partner organizations, professional artists, travel consultants, and other guest experts—along with our phenomenal faculty—to design and implement this amazing array of projects.
EBC Week Timeline
- Mid January: EBC Project List published and shared with students and families. Registration opens.
- Early February: Student registration deadline for EBC projects.
- Late February: Final placement into EBC Projects. Students and families notified via email.
- March-April: EBC planning and prep meetings: Students will meet variously in class meetings and advisory time to help plan and prepare for their EBC projects.
- April 12-16: EBC Week 2021! EBC Projects will typically run Monday through Friday this week but some projects may run longer or shorter depending on activities, overnight factors, etc.
Questions? Contact Experiential Education Coordinator, David Kelly-Hedrick, firstname.lastname@example.org.