In order to ensure open communication with parents, EPS has many methods of contact. Our primary outreach will be via email and forms of communication include:
- EPS Weekly Email— Emailed every Friday, this communication includes information about upcoming events, forms, field trips, volunteer opportunities, and any other general announcements.
- Canvas— Canvas is Eastside Prep’s learning management system and is where all course work resides. Canvas includes a teacher-created webpage for each class, online grades, homework submissions, and much more. There is a link to Canvas in the top blue menu bar on our main webpage or can be accessed directly at https://eastsideprep.instructure.com. All parents and students have a login and password. Once enrolled, the parent’s email address is their username and the default password will be provided to parents during summer. The default password should be changed quickly either by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or dropping in to the tech office or any of the front offices.
- Progress Reports and Grades— Teachers write progress reports at the mid-point of each trimester. These comments focus on describing how the student is learning and give each student specific, concrete examples of areas to focus on in the second half of the trimester. At the end of the first and third trimester, advisors will write a summative letter about their advisee. In the middle of the second trimester, advisory conferences are held. The goal of the letters and conferences is to help the students and parents see trends in the students’ work and in their overall accomplishment. The end of trimester grade is recorded on a student’s official transcript. At any point in the year, a student or parent can log into Canvas and check up on their current standing in each class.
- Inspire Magazine– Inspire, the EPS magazine, is published each spring and fall and is distributed to all families. The magazine highlights the programs and people that make up our community.
- Facebook— A school for the 21st century means joining the social media movement. EPS has its own Facebook page and we welcome parents to become fans! Just like us at “Eastside Preparatory School.”
- Phone— While much information is shared electronically, we have not forgotten the effectiveness of a phone conversation. Over the course of the year, parents will receive calls from teachers, administrators and staff, but please know that this is a two-way street. Don’t hesitate to pick up the phone and call someone with questions. All EPS employees have their email addresses and campus extensions listed under “Campus Contacts” along the top blue menu bar of Eastside Prep’s homepage. Parents are also welcome to call the school’s main phone line to be directed to a particular faculty or staff member. An abbreviated contact list is also provided on the “New Families” web page.
- Meetings— Individual and/or group meetings may occur if the need arises. These meetings may include the advisor, teacher, administrator, counselor, or any combination of those. EPS may request these meetings, however please know parents can request one as well. There are also regularly scheduled division level coffees for parents with the Head of School and Division Heads held throughout the year. These meetings serve as an open forum for questions and conversation. The Head of School also holds additional meetings with small groups of parents throughout the year.